Saturday, June 8, 2013

Spend some time with Jessica Therrien, author of 'Uprising (Children of the Gods Book 2)'


What was the inspiration behind the Children of the Gods series?

I get asked this a lot. I wish I had a better answer. I was simply looking for a good book to read and couldn't find one I liked....so I wrote my own.

Which character(s) is/are the most fun to write?

Aside from Elyse & William, my favorite characters to write in Uprising were Mac & Alex. In Oppression it was Kara.
To whom do you relate the most?
I relate most to Elyse. I based her on myself, so she kind of is me, lol.
Congrats! Book 2 is done! Now when do we get Book 3? (From all of us fans who are salivating over the series. :-) )
Hmmm...I don't have a release date yet, simply because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to write. I had my first baby in January. I am 30% done. It's a slow process, but I'm enjoying where the book is going :)
Mythology has been a hot topic lately. How do you make yourself stand out in this competitive YA genre?
Most mythology based books are re-tellings or the gods as they are known but reincarnated, etc. My series is based on the idea that humans got it all wrong. The Greek gods were never really gods at all. They were a secret race that has been living amongst us for all this time.
Have you ever thought about moving up into the New Adult genre?
No, not really, but I have thought about writing general fiction for adults. I don't think I could bring myself to write all the sexy sex parts a new adult book would require, lol.
Do you have any other projects in the works?
I do :) I'm trying to let them be for now so I can focus on my 3rd book, but I'm itching to dive in.
You became a mommy while writing the second book. How has that changed your writing?
Like I said...things move a lot more slowly now, but I enjoy a challenge. I write during his naps and on long car rides while my husband is driving.
You grew up in a very small town. How did that experience impact your writing?
I actually grew up in Chilcoot, which is the setting for specific parts of both Oppression & Uprising. I definitely drew off of the memory of my little ranch town in the middle of nowhere.
In college, you studied Chinese, and even spent some time abroad. That sounds amazing! Please tell us something about that experience.
It was one of the best things I've ever done. I'm afraid to fly, so just getting on the plane to Taiwan was terrifying, but I knew I HAD to do it. When I got there I cried almost every day at first because I didn't understand a word. I had taken a few years of Chinese in college, so I thought I'd be prepared. I wasn't. It was amazing to witness my own transformation when the year was over. I was touring my boyfriend (now husband) all over the country on trains, in taxis, busses, etc. translating everything. It was a crazy adventure. By the end I remember having a conversation with my teacher (who could speak no English) and realizing that I was completely fluent. I understood every word and so did she. I studied at NTU (National Taiwan University). It was a great program to learn Mandarin, and I'll NEVER forget it. Neither will my husband...we stayed together through it all. A year apart talking for 20 minutes in my morning (his night) & 20 minutes in my night (his morning). You can see why he's my William :)
...sorry that was long winded. Haha!
What is something that readers may be surprised to learn about you?
Before I found writing, I wanted to be on Broadway. I love musical theater, and I miss it very much. 
Is there anything else that you would like to share?
Just that I am so grateful for everyone who has supported me and my writing! Thank you SO much (you included, Andrea).
Thank you so much for your time and for sharing this series with us!
 
Bio:
Jessica Therrien is the author of the young adult paranormal fiction series Children of the Gods. Book one in the series, Oppression, was published by ZOVA Books in February of 2012 and became a Barnes & Noble bestseller shortly after its release. The second book in the series, Uprising, will be available in May of 2013.

Aside from her Children of the Gods series, Jessica’s work can also be found in a published collection of flash fiction stories called Campaigner Challenges 2011. Out of over 350 submissions her story, The Soulless, won first place for people’s choice and fourth place in the judging round of Rachael Harrie’s Writing Campaign Challenge. Her story, Saved, is also available as part of the anthology.

Jessica currently lives in Chula Vista with her husband and is working on book three in her Children of the Gods series.


Title: Uprising (Children of the Gods #2)
Publisher: ZOVA Books
Release Date: May 28, 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Pages: 384

Synopsis:

Jessica Therrien follows up her bestselling novel OPPRESSION with UPRISING, the second book in the Children of the Gods series.

OPPRESSION, translated and sold around the world, was one of the best selling YA novels of 2012. UPRISING continues the story of Elyse, William and the Descendants. Elyse has been in hiding for most of her life. Only now she’s hiding with William, and she knows who she’s hiding from. The Council wants a child Elyse and William have yet to conceive, a child who will be the next oracle, and who will provide the final piece to a plan Christoph has been organizing for years. Charged with leading the rebellion against Christoph and his Council, Elyse feels well out of her depth. But she has good friends and strong allies who are willing to fight with her to the end, regardless of how far they have to go, and how many lives will be lost in the process. They have one goal: to live freely and openly with the rest of humanity, out from under The Council’s oppressive rule. The stakes could not be higher for Elyse and the Descendants longing for freedom. They'll have to learn to fight if they want to stand up against The Council, and to find allies in a world ruled by their enemies. The hardest part of waging a war is knowing who to trust. Elyse knows their uprising will change the world. She doesn’t realize it will change her, too.

Buy links:

1 comment: