Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Read an exclusive excerpt from 'Scales' by Pauline Creeden

scales tour banner

ScalesVerona is a bottom feeder. She is the one mer in her clan who is considered the ugliest and least intelligent. Growing up with the constant bullying and abuse wasn’t the worst of what her kind had in store for her. At seventeen years old, she must now endure “The Reckoning.”

The scales will measure her worth to her clan. Will she endure thirty days as a land-walker to gather information and knowledge to appease her clan and return a valued member? Will she wait three years, until she is twenty, and find a mer of her kind to accept her and marry her? Or will she suffer exile for the rest of her life?

Genre: YA



Read an exclusive excerpt:
Because I am the bottom feeder, it is my job to survive the Reckoning and prove that I am worthy to stay with the clan. If they find out that he helped me, they’ll send him out on the Reckoning, too.

Suddenly I stop and yank my arm from his grasp. “You can’t do this. You can’t help me.”

He sneers. “A Mer with half a brain would say thank you.”

He snatches my wrist again and drags me along with him. I follow reluctantly.

“Where are we going?”

“Shut up and swim faster. We need to get salve on your wounds so they will clot. I’ve got some hidden this way.”

We swim in silence toward the shallows until we find another reef, round and in hues of purple and orange in the bright sunlight. A buzz on the current signals that the sharks are finished with the marlin and are following again, or perhaps it’s another set of sharks...there are only two.


Buy on Amazon 



Pauline CreedenPauline Creeden

Pauline Creeden is a horse trainer from Virginia, but writing is her therapy. In her fiction, she creates worlds that are both familiar and strange, often pulling the veil between dimensions. She becomes the main character in each of her stories, and because she has ADD, she will get bored if she pretends to be one person for too long.


Follow Pauline Creeden:

No comments:

Post a Comment