Sunday, December 30, 2012

Review of 'Golden' by Monika Pardon

Blurb from Amazon:

With her long golden hair and tragic run-in with three impossibly large bears in a remote cabin, seventeen-year-old Sonora Martin is a modern day Goldilocks. Yet her life is no happy, romantic fairy tale. Instead she finds herself thrust into a dark magical world of the fae and shape shifters and questions who she can trust.

After the sudden death of her grandmother, Sonora is forced to live with an aunt that she barely knows, her cousin, and Luke, her aunt's reluctant boyfriend. A fight with her aunt sends Sonora running into the woods where she inadvertently learns a web of family secrets and of a startlingly pact for revenge with her as the target. Now with the help of a pair of unlikely allies Sonora must travel to the Shadow Realm in search of a way to survive.

**My thoughts**

I was excited when this book was chosen as the monthly read for one of my book clubs, because I had already purchased it. My TBR pile is ginormous, so this allowed me to bump it to the top.  I read it in parts, because I had to get other book reviews done around it. That made me have to backtrack here and there to keep the story straight.

I felt the relationship to the Goldilocks fairytale early on, as the girl with the golden hair entered into a home that was theoretically inhabited by three bears. Unlike most retellings of this story, though, these bears are on a mission to kill the fair maiden. And then the story falls far away from the fairytale, as it enters a world of fae and shifters.

I had to pay close attention to each of the characters to keep them straight. Those who seems to be good may actually be evil. Some of the evil ones are acting against their will, and are actually one of the good guys. You feel Sonora's confusion as she tries to figure out who she really is, and whom she can trust. The book comes to a satisfactory close, yet leaves the story wide open for a sequel. It's a fun start to a new young adult series that fans of shifters and fae will enjoy.

Buy links: Paperback \ Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment